If you have diabetes, heart disease, stroke, or underlying health conditions, you are at higher risk from COVID-19. With preparation you can manage your risk and stay healthy.
- Manage your risk:
- Stay at home if you can
- If you need to go out
– Wear a mask
– Avoid touching things with your fingers
– Wash hands frequently
– Practice physical distancing
- Keep focused on your health
– Track your glucose and monitor your blood pressure
– Stay hydrated
– Keep taking your medication
– Stay active and continue healthy eating habits
- Be prepared:
- Stock up on essentials such as prescription medications, testing supplies, electrolyte drinks, household items and groceries
- Organize health info including phone numbers of your doctors, pharmacy, and private insurance
- Stay connected to your healthcare team – ask about telehealth options!
- Have an emergency plan in place
- Find out when and how you should contact your doctor’s office outside of planned visits.
- Determine how often to check critical health numbers
- Develop a 0-0-0 protocol in case of emergency
FACT: People with diabetes are at two-times greater risk for heart disease and stroke. Taking special care to follow your diabetes plan to keep you healthy is important now more than ever.